Tuesday, September 2, 2008

You CAN do it!!

Roll up your sleeves and get in the kitchen!!!
Everyone always tells me..."Oh...I can't cook." Trust me...cooking is only following instructions. If I can cook in my tiny kitchen, then anyone cook. Yes, I may enjoy it more than some people, but anyone can do it. And no...it doesn't have to be Hamburger Helper or Mac and Cheese (by the way...I cooked a very yummy Cheesy Ranch Hamburger Helper two weeks ago so I'm not totally against it). Also, if you can't cook or don't cook...what do you eat? I haven't figured that one out yet. I have one friend that doesn't cook and they would go out to eat all the time...but that's not practical for a family or anyone on a budget. In NY you can have anything delivered to your door, but outside of NY that's not an option either. So this is my response to the many, many people that have told me they can't cook...

I like to roast things because it's healthier than pan frying, and it takes almost no effort (just turn your oven on about 400 degrees and roast the veggies and chicken for about 30 mins). If you cover your pans in foil there is no clean-up. I made couscous to go along with this meal...all you have to do to it is boil some water (or broth for more flavor), add the couscous, cover and let it sit for 5 minutes...how easy is that?! Please note: I know that most people are on a budget- this meal cost $12-$15 (not including dessert) and there was enough leftover for another full meal. For a demonstration see below:

First, I chopped the zucchini, yellow squash, and carrots. Then I added some garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper.

See...not much room...
Then I seasoned some chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper, and garlic.
Then I boiled some chicken broth and water with a little olive oil.

Then I added the roasted vegetables and couscous...looks yummy.
Then I took it a step further...I made my own vinaigrette for the salad...it's actually really easy...I used Ina Garten's recipe in Barefoot in Paris. I use her cookbooks a lot.
Here is the finished product.

Here is the salad...
The set table...
And the colorful plate...
I tried to make another country peach tart...this one didn't turn out as well. I chopped too many peaches and I didn't slice them thin enough...but it still tastes good so it doesn't really matter.

I realize that once I have children I may not have time to do things like make my own vinaigrette and make desserts often, but for now I can and I will enjoy it! All you need to do to get a little knowledge about cooking is to buy a couple of good cookbooks...I recommend anything from Ina Garten and the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (the one with the red and white plaid cover that everyone has). They are my standbys when I need good recipes. And watch the Food Network when you have time...I've learned so much from it; these are my favorite chefs to watch: Ina Garten, Giada De Laurentiis, Robin Miller, Nigella Lawson or Michael Chiarello (yes...I like Paula Deen...but just get a copy of your mom's Junior League or Blossom Festival cookbook to cook like she does).
Bon Apetite!

5 comments:

Magen said...

Couscous? It's official: your horizons have been expanded. Time for you to come back home before you're pulled over to the dark side. JK - you know I love ya!

I vote that you cook for us at our get together this Christmas instead of us going out to eat again. We'll all chip in and you can do a cooking show!

Anonymous said...

Don't you ever dis my Paula again!

Susy said...

I didn't dis Paula! She just doesn't teach like the rest of them do...she is very entertaining though.

Leah said...

Okay Susy! I'll admit...I have been inspired by your cooking posts! I am trying new recipes, but I am starting out super easy! Maybe one of these days you will have your own show where you cook nice meals and show us all how to set really beautiful tables (to pull in the design aspect!) I agree with Magen! Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

Susy! I love your blog. I check it almost every day, just so you know, so update it more. Also, I watched the wedding video on Ryan's blog and OH MY your pictures are gorgeous! I especially love the one where you guys are jumping. May I live vicariously though you until I move away from south Arkansas myself?