A lady once asked me where I was from...when I replied, "Arkansas," she said, "Oh, well that's ok." Yes...yes, I know.
You would think that a girl from a small town in Arkansas with a conservative, Christian upbringing would be timid, maybe not have a lot of opportunities, and maybe be a little narrow-minded about the world. But in my experiences I have discovered that it has nothing to do with where you are from, your religious or political views, or where you got your education. Knowledge and understanding people is not something that one can gain from an expensive education and cannot always be comprehended by traveling the world. Learning to appreciate people for who they are is a gift that I believe was given to me by the remarkable family I had around me, as well as the great people of the state of Arkansas. I grew up in an amazing little town in an amazing state. The people around me shaped who I am today, and that is something that I do not take for granted. It doesn't matter what people do, what they believe, or where they live...good people are good people...it's a very simple matter.
Now for a little history lesson...My great-great-great grandfather moved to Arkansas in 1848 and was a Baptist pastor. I was raised in a Baptist church not too far away from where they lived. My family has raised 7 generations in Arkansas. Sometimes I think my Daddy knows everything about every town and road in the state...and if he doesn't know he has no problem finding out (by that I mean turning down any dirt road we come across...no matter how primitive it is). I traveled to New York and the Northeast twice before the age of 9, and by 23 I had been to Europe twice. I knew I wanted to go away to college so I chose the University of Arkansas, even though my family has a tradition of attending Texas A&M. I followed my dream to NY and now I have the job I knew I wanted when I was 12.
Now for a little history lesson...My great-great-great grandfather moved to Arkansas in 1848 and was a Baptist pastor. I was raised in a Baptist church not too far away from where they lived. My family has raised 7 generations in Arkansas. Sometimes I think my Daddy knows everything about every town and road in the state...and if he doesn't know he has no problem finding out (by that I mean turning down any dirt road we come across...no matter how primitive it is). I traveled to New York and the Northeast twice before the age of 9, and by 23 I had been to Europe twice. I knew I wanted to go away to college so I chose the University of Arkansas, even though my family has a tradition of attending Texas A&M. I followed my dream to NY and now I have the job I knew I wanted when I was 12.
I made my own way...just like so many before me. Some people are called "priveledged"...and it has a certain meaning. Well I am priveledged to have rolled up my pant legs and catch crawdads in the Little Missouri River and then shop for a prom dress in Paris. I went trout fishing for spring break, and spent summers by the sea. I realize that pride is a dangerous thing, but I am extremely proud of where I come from and who I am. I do not assume that I know people or where they are from because I hate it when they do that to me. I don't assume that someone from Jersey is a character from The Sopranos; I don't assume that someone from Kansas is a farmer; I don't assume that someone from California is a surfer. If you think you know who I am or where I come from, please come sit for awhile and I'll fill you in...just ask my daddy...I'll set you straight pretty quickly.
Now for some fun facts! Did you know:
Now for some fun facts! Did you know:
- Arkansas, under American control, was first a part of the Louisiana Territory and then of the Missouri Territory before it became a separate territory in 1819.
- Arkansas was admitted to the Union as the 25th state on June 15, 1836.
- The original Bowie knife was made by James Black, a blacksmith of Washington, Arkansas, for Colonel James Bowie about 1830.
- Bauxite, the ore used to make aluminum, was discovered in Arkansas in 1887 by State Geologist John C. Branner. Mining began in 1899 and Arkansas soon led all other states in production.
- Arkansas supplies 96 percent of the nation's domestic bauxite and has the only diamond mine in the United States.
- The Old Mill, located in Little Rock, is shown in the opening credits of Gone With the Wind.
- Wal-Mart began in 1962, when Sam Walton opened the company’s first discount store in Rogers, Ark. As of 2005, Wal-Mart employed more than 1.6 million associates in more 6,200 facilities around the world – including 3,800 U.S. stores and 3,800 international units – with $312.4 billion in sales for the year.
- Arkansas is the #1 producer of rice in America growing over 10 billion pounds of rice each year.
Now for a closing thought...Arkansas is a lot like a family member for me...I can make fun of it all I want...but it's off limits to you!









1 comment:
great post susy!!!!
Post a Comment