Friday, June 26, 2009

I made a decision.

I haven't been able to get this off of my mind all week. I obsess about things like this. It's extremely annoying, and one reason why I don't like things like job searches. I freak out about the details, and then I'm paralyzed by indecision. I either make a decision in two seconds flat, and don't think about it again, or agonize over it forever. Ryan thought I was being completely ridiculous and that no one will care what my cards look like. I, on the other hand, take paper weight, typeface, and design so seriously it borders crazy. I know that others don't even know what the difference in 50lb. cardstock and 110lb. cardstock is, but I do and it's important to me. Do you see why I didn't have a wedding? It would have been finalized sometime around my 50th birthday, and then styles would have changed and I would have had to start all over again. Ryan's mom politely said that I'm "very particular." I said, "Some people call that being a control freak." I appreciate her putting it so nicely though.

Here is the card I went with:

Yes, I didn't even have it as an option, and it's plain. It's actually called Plain Jane. But that's what I like about it. It gives me options for my portfolio and resume, and I can coordinate them without being bound to someone else's design. I like to think it will be memorable for it's simplicity. I feel like it looks like me. Simple, no B.S., if you will. It may be a very plain choice for the design world, but I don't know if I'm sticking with design, so oh well. It will just have to work, and maybe Ryan is right and no one will care.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. They were appreciated. My favorite was 1, but I knew it was a little too frilly for the business world. I think I could have totally gotten away with them in the South, but probably not up here.

Now I can relax and spend my day making other important decisions...CNN or NBC for the Michael Jackson coverage? Personally, I don't know if I believe that he's really dead. I know that sounds crazy, but leave it to him to fake his own death to get this kind of publicity. Maybe if he's really dead I'll regret speaking about him in such a way...but probably not.

1 comment:

Magen said...

GREAT CHOICE. I really like the "plainness" of it - weird compliment I know. I worked in HR for a couple years at Murphy before promoting into another group, and I never saw business cards like the #1 example. It is a great card for personal use, but not business. You picked the perfect card.

Your attention to detail is a quality to be admired. Any company will be fortunate to have someone so meticulous working for them.