Fifty-seven percent of voters in Arkansas supported a measure to prohibit unmarried sexual partners from adopting children or from serving as foster parents. The measure specifies that the prohibition applies to opposite-sex as well as same-sex couples.
With all of the children out there needing someone to love them? There are plenty of married, "normal" people out there that make lousy parents...
But...
Arkansas also approved a constitutional amendment to establish state lotteries to fund education, overturning a law set in 1874.
Yes...Arkansas desperately needs money for education...but I don't know if this is the way to get it.
I'm at a loss...
PREFACE TO FOLLOW UP: This might really bother some people out there, and I debated on putting it in. But afterall, this is my blog, and I can voice my opinions if I want to. I have been really bothered by some of the transitions this country is making. It is my right to serve my God in my life, and I don't want that right ever taken away...and it's because of that I do not feel comfortable taking the rights of others away. I make my own decisions about how I live...hopefully I will be a good example to others and will be able to be a witness to them when the Lord allows...but others can choose to make their decisions about how they live their lives as well and only God can say who is right and who is wrong...He will judge someday so it's not my place to judge today...with that said...
FOLLOW UP: The more I think about this post, the angrier I get. I realize I might be ruffling some feathers here, but I can't stop thinking about the children it could effect. The voters of Arkansas are saying that a couple that has been together for 10 years, decides to have a child, realizes they are "reproductively challenged", and wants to adopt cannot. It was their decision not to get married, and frankly it's none of my business. They can have a child together the old fashioned way, but the state of Arkansas will not let them take an "unwanted" child and bring it into their home because they are not married? They are not child molestors or drug users...they are not married. It is not the state's right to take the moral high ground and say that only married couples make good parents...it simply isn't true. If a married couple adopts, and then divorces, will the state take the child away? After all...they are not a married couple anymore. Pro-lifers should be outraged...you are encouraging a woman to have a child, but you are taking her other options away. You are limiting the people that could take in that child. According to the U.S. Census 2000, the National Survey of Family Growth (2002), and the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (2004), a ban on gay and lesbian individuals being allowed to foster could displace 9,000 to 14,000 children if pursued nationally. You're saying that up to 14,000 children would be placed back into the system, possibly a group home because of conservative opinions. I could not explain to a child that they must be removed from the home they have been in because some people don't agree with how their foster family lives. Some people don't agree with the Christian lifestyle either, so what if they said that Christians could not adopt children because some people didn't agree with their beliefs?
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






8 comments:
I swear Susy, it's like you read my mind sometimes! I'll be glad when in the south again!
Kristen
Susy, I really really really appreciate this! Be brave with your voice. It makes a difference!
I totally agree with you. I was one of the few in Arkansas against this act. We have so many foster children in need of loving homes. Marital status does not mean a perfect home.
First of all, let me say, what I say is IN LOVE, and anyone that knows me knows that I am the worst of all sinners and need God's grace just as much as anyone else. Married people are FAR from perfect, but that's not the point.
Second, the only thing that this Act has changed is paper... the State of Arkansas does not place foster care children in homes where there is a live-in boyfriend or girlfriend. This act just made existing policy into law. The reason I voted for the ban is because cohabitation is not a part of God's plan for families.
Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” (Gen. 2:18)
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. (Gen 2:24)
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. (Hebrews 13:4)
Be single, or be married. But you have to pick one. I don't want children who are being taken out of bad situations, and being put into supposedly "good" situations, to think that God's says it's okay for people to "shack up." That defiles God's plan for marriage.
I also voted against the Lottery. :(
-Magen
I don't say any of this in anger...just as my opinion...everyone has a right to their own opinion...
"Be single, or be married. But you have to pick one."
Never.
I cohabitated for 4 years. It was a very personal decision. Under no circumstances was anyone going to tell me I HAD to get married. Mabye I was living in sin, but it was my choice to make.
The law of man and the law of God are two very different things in our nation. If Christians think it's their place to put policies into government that are strictly their own laws, then who is to say that Muslims, Buddhists, and atheists will not do the same? Do you want to be required to be married under Muslim law? I doubt it...so you should not require others to follow Christian law unless they choose it on their own. It is our Christian prayer that the world will know Jesus Christ as their Savior...but it is not just to require it by law.
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. (Hebrews 13:4)
It is verses like this that when taken out of context and put into law lead to women being stoned in streets for being raped. It happens in radical, religious countries all over the world today. We are better than that...let God do the judging.
I am one of the 57% that voted for this. Maybe we as Christians that are married, and with a family need to pray more regarding foster parenting or adoption. I know my wife and I have talked about adoption in the past and have not ruled it out. I think most of the people of Arkansas just did not want children to be adopted by same-sex couples.
Luckily in America we can have these discussions under our rights in the United States of America. We all have viewpoints and it is good that we can share them.
Susy-- you took the words right of my mouth! Gabe and I had long discussions about this Act and it has angered me/us for weeks! It's just not right!! The ones who will be most affected by this are the children who need homes...this Act just leads to more children being left with out a home and love. The Bible clearly states, we are to take care of the widows and the orphans and nowhere does it state that it has to be a "married" couple to take care of those orphans! I voted against this Act and was so sad when I saw it passed.
No matter what happens, God is in control. Some people are wondering why Obama was elected, some are not? God is in control. Everything happens for a purpose. It is all in God's plan.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Post a Comment