Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

Well, it was a cold Thanksgiving, but it was still a good one. I am now very thankful for heat and hot water (we got it around 8:30 last night). That is what happens in old buildings with old boilers...it was just a very bad time.

The morning started with running over to the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. It starts 3 blocks over on Central Park West, and I've seen it every year. We are lucky enough to see it without the crowds and fuss that are everywhere else along the parade route. We just grabbed some Starbucks and walked over. We didn't see the whole thing...but I got to see the most important part...SANTA!! Seeing Santa in the parade is kind of a big deal for me because tradition says that he is a sign of the beginning of the Christmas season! My first year in New York we lived just a block over from Central Park West, and when I was walking back from getting my morning cup of coffee I looked down my street and at the end of it, framed by the lovely brownstones lining my street, was Santa in his sleigh! I freaked out like a 5 year old! It was a very neat moment, and one I will never forget. That couldn't happen anywhere else!!


Now for the rest of our turkey day...
I found these cute Spode turkey plates at TJ Maxx 20% off so we could eat in turkey style...
The cork to the champagne we've had in the fridge for months broke off...so Ryan being the resourceful man he is used a knife and sliced the whole top of the champagne bottle off!! I was terrified and made him do it outside, but it worked! Check out a video of someone doing it here.
Pre-dinner snacks

Quite a feast for just two...

Check out that turkey breast!
Yum...dessert.
And a reminder of how small my kitchen is...yes, anything is possible.
I hope everyone had a happy and warm Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Leah said...

It looks like you had a wonderful day and lots of food! You will be eating leftovers until Christmas!

Philip said...

I can't help but think about the movie "Miracle on 34th Street" every time I hear about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It is a favorite of mine. I prefer the older version, but the newer one is good as well. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.