Monday, August 17, 2009

Good at many things...Great at none- Part 1

Husband friendly dinner...
I have been wanting to fix risotto lately, but I've never attempted it before, so when I found a boxed version at Fairway I bought it. It was a parmesean and something combo. I made some roasted chicken and sauteed spinach to go with it. It took all of 30 mins. to make, and was so easy. It turned out so yummy!
Ryan really likes skinless, boneless chicken breasts and rice, but he also likes lots of flavor. It's not always easy to make a flavorful meal out of a boneless breast and rice, but this one accomplished just that!
It was a good dinner...but because the highlight of the meal was from a box, it wasn't great...but we both thought it was pretty tasty, and since it was quick it's a winner in my book!!

2 comments:

Abbie said...

Looks yummy! How do you cook your chicken? I am always looking for new ways to add flavor to the stuff.

I recently tried this one and liked it ok:

flatten out 3 boneless skinless breasts to about 1/3"

salt, pepper and cook through on both sides in a skillet and set aside

in the skillet you just used add 1/3 cup chicken stock, 1/3 cup apricot preserves and 1 tbsp. dijon mustard. let it cook down together for about 5-8 minutes till it starts to reduce. Then add your chicken back to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes or so.

We eat it with mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli (toss fresh broccoli spears in olive oil garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 min in a 450 dg oven - till brown and crispy). it takes all of about 30 minutes (leave the skins on the potatoes) to cook and is a more flavorful way to eat plane jane chicken. The best part is that I almost always have all the ingredients in the pantry!

Sorry for the super long comment!

Susy said...

Ohhh, Abbie, that sounds yummy! I will have to try that! We are big fans of mustard around here...I think we have 5 different kinds in the fridge right now.
For this chicken I just rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. I may have put garlic on it too. I roast it at a high temp. so it browns well. I'm a big fan of roasting things because you just stick it in the oven and don't have to touch it again until it's done!