Saturday, July 11, 2009

I think we're alone now...

Ryan has been working late lately, so that leaves me to eat a little dinner on my own. This is one of my favorite things to fix for myself!
It is bread, with a hole in the middle, and an egg fried inside.
Growing up, we always called these Moonstruck eggs because Olympia Dukakis is making them for the family at the end of the movie Moonstruck. I've also seen them called Eggs in a Basket and Egg in a Bread. I like mine with a runny yolk so you can soak it up with the bread. Yum! Ryan is not a fan, so I usually only make it when he's away.

I also ran across this picture earlier. This is how I spent the afternoon after I lost my job. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone! I came home, looked in the cabinet, and started baking! They were some of the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had! I think I ate equal amounts of cookie dough/baked cookies that day. The raw dough in this recipe is awesome because it's just a little salty. Just seeing this picture made me want to make them again!

5 comments:

Leah said...

That's so funny! I have favorite meals that I make when Jeremy is not home too! After 8 years though, now I often make them when he is home and say "like it or lump it." I have no clue what that means, but my dad used to say it! I usually only bake half (or less) of the cookie recipe because it has been eaten in the process! Have a nice night to yourself!

Leslie said...

My friend Julie G. used to make them at her house all the time...they always called them "nest eggs."

abigail said...

my mom used to make eggs in baskets for us using a little heart cookie cutter. :)

aunt donna said...

eating raw cookie dough is sooo bryan. uncle harvard would rather i didn't "cook" the cookies.
at our house we make what we call cheese-egg-toast. toasted bread, melted white cheese with an over easy fried egg on top. all done in a iron skillet of course. simple, oh yeah.

Chelsea said...

Eggs in a nest! Yes! My grandma used to make that for my when I was little.