Have you seen Southern Living lately? It's back, in case you didn't notice. And if you didn't notice that the distinctive Southern part of Southern Living had disappeared for awhile, well...I'll give you minute to dig them out from under your bed and compare. BooMama talked about this awhile back, and I agreed so adamently that I had to post about it myself. Is there a Southern woman out there that doesn't subscribe to Southern Living? Do you? If you don't, good heavens why not? The magazine world is hurting right now, with more people turning to the internet, but I have always felt like Southern Living will live on. Honestly, I think people will get it just because (unless it loses it's authentic Southern charm again). Southerners tend to stick with their traditions, including getting a magazine that both your mom and grandmother subscribe to.
I've read Southern Living for as long as I can remember. My mom always got it, and it always sat on the shelf under the coffee table or in a basket in the living room or den. I poured through their pages, and learned about gardening and cooking at an early age. I love their gardens filled with ferns and red geraniums, and their homes with big porches. They are all back. Finally.
I let my old subscription go because I didn't like the direction the magazine was taking. Then, my final issue introduced the new editor. She is Southern and promised to show us what we were missing. She has, and I am thankful. I renewed about 6 weeks ago, and just got my first issue (apparently they are a little slow getting it to us Yankees...I just got July).
I'm going to fix a pitcher of sweet tea and read mine now. Nothing makes me feel more Southern than drinking a big glass of sweet tea, and learning about how to plant a proper Crepe Myrtle or the best place to catch bay scallops while on vacation in Florida! I can't wait! Have a nice night, ya'll!Check out 20 Recipes with Fresh Tomatoes...yum!






1 comment:
when we first moved to texas i was invited to join a little cooking club. each month we would meet at a club member's house with something from the current issue of SL. we would call ahead and the hostess would build her menu with each phone call. we did this for about 14 years. as you can imagine, it became difficult to find something interesting in a magazine that didn't seem to change much. so a couple of years ago we all decided that the club had run it's course. we stopped getting the magazine. almost all of us. very weird. i took that magazine for close to thirty years!! then earlier this year i picked up a current issue and halliyooyer, it was great!! i resubscribed...happy day, no club but i am enjoying SL again.
Post a Comment