There is a new documentary out right now called Food, Inc. It discusses the food that we eat today vs. the food we used to eat, and how our food now is engineered, processed, and genetically modified. This is something I have really been thinking about for awhile now. Yes, I still eat Pop-tarts for breakfast sometimes, so it's not like I have a perfect diet, but what we put in our mouths is a cause for concern in my opinion.One of my biggest concerns is our meat. It's full of antibiotics and hormones, and the means that it takes to grow it on a large scale hurt our environment tremendously. That can't be good for us! What I don't understand is that so many people that get upset about the methane gas being put out by cattle farms and the hormones in our food aren't bigger proponents of hunting. I realize that I'm basically a country girl from Arkansas, and hunting is a very common, normal thing for me, but it seems like such a healthier and humane option for us to get meat. These creatures are living in their natural environment, for the most part, and are eating what they've eaten for generations. The sick die off naturally, therefore not making it into our end of the food chain. They are able to roam or fly around and live a good life. Hunters can go and kill what they need to feed their families, and leave the rest to live on. These cattle and chicken farms have them in pens where they can't walk or move. They are fed genetically modified food and given strong medicines so they don't get sick (because they would normally get sick living in these conditions). They have no quality of life, and then all of them are slaughtered. I don't understand why people that are so against this form of raising food still consider hunting to be harmful to animals and barbaric. I realize poachers and people that have no regard for life in general have given hunting a bad name, but there are lots of other people out there that take it seriously and use it as a way to feed their families. I think there should be much greater support for hunting in our discussions about where we get our food, and leave the negative stereotypes aside for awhile. If regulated, it could be a great way for us to get back to eating healthier foods, and live off of the land like we did orginally...leaving our forests for the flora and fauna and not chopping them down for massive agricultural establishments that seem to only be hurting our environment, food, and ourselves!
Ok...I'll get off of my soapbox now. Please feel free to leave comments and discuss...all opinions are welcome. And feel free to send any extra frozen deer meat in your deep freeze my way...I prefer it so much more than beef!
Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change?






No comments:
Post a Comment