Since I wrote about Darby's celebrity experiences, I thought I would share a few of my own.
For some reason Ryan and I have been very lucky in celebrity sitings. I don't know if it's our neighborhood or just by luck, but we have seen many, many big time celebrities while we have lived here. One time we even tried to start a list...it was front, back, and two columns! One of my favorite stories happened right after we moved here. I worked at a little shop in Chelsea. On my way to work I happened to gracefully fall down the stairs to the subway station. This was not just a scraped knee injury...I rolled my ankle, and somehow my strappy shoe ended up around my leg, instead of on my foot. Luckily, there were nice people around to help me gather my things that went flying, and a nice NYPD officer that made sure I hadn't broken anything, but walking and standing were quite difficult at the time. I made it down to the train, and was on my way to work. My ankle was swelling by the minute and turning all shades of doom. I finally made it to the shop and called Ryan. He suggested I put some ice on it, but we only had a small mini-fridge at the shop with no ice, but I remembered I had a cold Dr. Pepper in my bag. Dr. Pepper to the rescue! I'm sure you're wondering where the celebrity drama comes in...but I'm building up to it! I was the first to arrive in the mornings, and I worked at the desk in the back part of the shop doing paperwork. It was a very small store, and the whole front was windows. I finally pulled myself together and propped my foot up on the desk. I was holding the Dr. Pepper on my ankle when I looked up and saw Ethan Hawke standing with his dog looking in the window. We made eye contact, and sort of smiled at each other, he picked up his dog's business, and kept walking. I had been crying like crazy earlier, but after this I couldn't stop laughing. I wonder what he was thinking...it's not everyday that you see someone with her foot up in the air holding a can of Dr. Pepper to it in a swanky little shop downtown...I must have been a sight!
This was my biggest celebrity day yet...
On a summer night I was walking Darby through Central Park. I was on the phone with Ryan, and I stopped because it looked like a wedding reception was about to take place by the Shakespeare Theater. There were tables with flowers and speakers set up. I walked around, and notice a red carpet too, with paparazzi!! Then I saw Naomi Watts and her boyfriend, Liev Schreiber! I decided to stick around, so Darby and I parked ourselves on a park bench and watched them come strolling in. We had the best seat in the house! It turned out they were having a gala honoring Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline!!! I was just giddy! Seeing Meryl Streep was really big for me, because I always considered her to be one of those REAL actresses. This was also the night I saw Candice Bergen and Ali McGraw. I saw Cynthia Nixon come in late, and Ethan Hawke (again). But then one of my favorite actors came...Steve Martin!!! That was so exciting! I stuck around and heard Meryl and Kevin give a speech, after they were honored by our mayor, Michael Bloomberg...and I tried not to stare at Steve Martin too much.
One time Ryan and I were at the Metropolitan Museum on Art. We were at the Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit looking around, and then Glen Close walked in! It was a very small space and Ryan and I were not quite sure what to do! Then she said, VERY loudly..."I just love the stained glass windows..." Her husband leaned down and said very sternly..."take your earphones out of your ears...you're speaking very loudly." She still had the guided tour on tape earphones in, and didn't realize she was talking over it. It was hilarious!
A few other exciting moments...I got to talk to Mario Cantone at the shop I worked at...he played Charlotte's friend Anthony on Sex and the City...he was very nice. I also got to talk to Steve, Miranda's husband from Sex and the City at the shop. He was also very nice.
And a few other REAL actor sitings...Dustin Hoffman, Danny DeVito, Matt Damon, and Kevin Bacon! Seeing Dustin Hoffman was exciting!! He's really short...but not as short as Danny DeVito!!
One time Ryan and I were at the Metropolitan Museum on Art. We were at the Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit looking around, and then Glen Close walked in! It was a very small space and Ryan and I were not quite sure what to do! Then she said, VERY loudly..."I just love the stained glass windows..." Her husband leaned down and said very sternly..."take your earphones out of your ears...you're speaking very loudly." She still had the guided tour on tape earphones in, and didn't realize she was talking over it. It was hilarious!
Ok...one more...I'm waiting for my chicken and rice casserole to cook and I already folded laundry and did the dishes in the sink...I've got time to kill!
While the Sopranos were still on Ryan and I would get pizza every Sunday night to eat while we watched it. We had a great pizza place across the street, so we grabbed Darby and I walked her while Ryan went in to get it. I noticed after Ryan went inside that Keanu Reeves and a girl were sitting in the window eating. I was dying to get is attention because I didn't want him to miss Keanu! I had seen him earlier in the week leaving a building near our apartment, so seeing him here didn't surprise me too much. He and the girl got up to leave, and as they were walking out the pizza guy shouted to them that they didn't pay!! Ryan turned to see the people, and notice who it was! He then stuck his head outside and asked what kind of pizza I wanted and motioning to look inside! He didn't realize I had been hanging out outside trying not to look like a total stalker. Anyway...he paid his bill and the pizza guy told him he enjoyed The Matrix and that was it! It was pretty funny!
While the Sopranos were still on Ryan and I would get pizza every Sunday night to eat while we watched it. We had a great pizza place across the street, so we grabbed Darby and I walked her while Ryan went in to get it. I noticed after Ryan went inside that Keanu Reeves and a girl were sitting in the window eating. I was dying to get is attention because I didn't want him to miss Keanu! I had seen him earlier in the week leaving a building near our apartment, so seeing him here didn't surprise me too much. He and the girl got up to leave, and as they were walking out the pizza guy shouted to them that they didn't pay!! Ryan turned to see the people, and notice who it was! He then stuck his head outside and asked what kind of pizza I wanted and motioning to look inside! He didn't realize I had been hanging out outside trying not to look like a total stalker. Anyway...he paid his bill and the pizza guy told him he enjoyed The Matrix and that was it! It was pretty funny!
A few other exciting moments...I got to talk to Mario Cantone at the shop I worked at...he played Charlotte's friend Anthony on Sex and the City...he was very nice. I also got to talk to Steve, Miranda's husband from Sex and the City at the shop. He was also very nice.
And a few other REAL actor sitings...Dustin Hoffman, Danny DeVito, Matt Damon, and Kevin Bacon! Seeing Dustin Hoffman was exciting!! He's really short...but not as short as Danny DeVito!!






3 comments:
I think if I saw Matt Damon I would pee my pants! I saw the guy from my town that is on American Idol at the community center tonight running and got a little star struck! Didn't you see Molly Ringwald at your shop too...I mean I know she's not the top of the list these days, but I still love her!
Yes I saw Molly Ringwald and the first person I wanted to tell was you!!!! I said hi to her and she said Hi back...we had a moment...and then I almost screamed and scared her away!!
What about JR from AMC, the little guy from Pretty Woman, Nicholas Cage, Emeril, and of course MARTHA! And when I come up there, I don't see anyone!
Post a Comment