Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Awkward!
Unfortunately God has not given me the gift of gab...but He also has not given me the gift to shut up. This tends to put me in awkward situations. To be frank, I suck at small talk. Ryan actually sshh'd me the other day. I was appalled, but quickly realized I was acting a fool. I hate awkward silences, so I just start talking...about anything. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't be the only socially awkward person out there. This is also why I don't talk on the phone...so sorry...now you know. At least I've almost gotten over breaking out into hives whenever I get uncomfortable! It's one thing to ramble on like an idiot...but to ramble on with giant red welts creeping up your neck and onto your face is beyond embarrassing. So if any of you are caught in a weird conversation with me...for your own sake just change the subject!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






6 comments:
I am absolutely horrible at small talk AND as weird as this may sound, the older I get the worse it gets. I second guess everything that I say in a conversation once I am back home. I think, "did I offend them, did that hurt her feelings?..." I think it is just that I am more self-aware than I used to be and I am much more in tuned with my faults as a person.
Graham does worse than Ryan, though. He looks at me and says, "Too far, Les."
Sorry, Susy. That is two of the many bad habits that you got from me - not knowing when to shut-up and hives.
YES! We were just talking about "foot in the mouth moments" and "chatty Kathy moments" at work yesterday! I feel so awkward when I am checking out at the grocery store. You are just staring at this person...so I usually try to talk. Not anymore though! I almost messed up royally last time! It was really busy and the lines were crazy! As I walked up I said to the checker "Wow seems like ya'll are a little shh...busy right now!" Notice the weird ending! I was going to say "short handed tonight" and then LUCKILY noticed that he only had ONE ARM before I finished! AGGGHHHHH! I need Ryan to shhhh! me! Graham would have definitely said "Too far Ler!" This comment was way too long! Sorry! Susy, I think your hives are endearing!
I think this is a habit I'm developing in my old age... I am WAY more socially awkward now than when I was in college or high school. I HATE small talk and meeting people I don't know! Even people who I know and haven't seen forever sometimes make me uncomfortable... I think I'm becoming a FREAK! :) Oh if only I could go back to my carefree college days...
I love you just the way you are! What entertaining comments this post got. :)
Maybe this is why we are all friends...we can just be awkward together!!! I met a new girl that just moved to NY yesterday, and when I got home I over-analyzed everything I said. I wasn't feeling very well, so that made it even worse! Ahh!
Post a Comment