We attend a very large church here in NYC. I am very leery of large churches, because I kind of have a problem with the "production" that people will make out of worship. Don't get me wrong...I am the first person to defend how someone chooses to worship...it's a deeply personal thing...but I don't think that worship should be substituted with entertainment. That being said...I had a very hard time finding a church to attend here. I wanted somewhere that felt like home, but all I could find was something too large or something with a very small, do I dare say...wimpy...congregation. Two people I worked with at MSLO that I trusted and liked very much suggested Redeemer (thank you Mindi and Audrey!). So...we went on Easter last year for our first visit. We were instantly hooked. Not because they had a big choir and fancy equipment...they have none of those!!...but because let me tell you they speak THE WORD at Redeemer. I've said before that Tim Keller makes perfect sense of the Bible...and I didn't think that was possible. He is not apologetic for his stances...he merely backs it up with rock solid scripture. There is no choir, but we are certainly not lacking in music. In fact, we might have the best music in the land. Every Sunday we are lucky enough to hear the voices that grace the stages of some of the most famous Opera houses in the world...particularly the Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center. They are usually accompanied by some of the most talented musicians in the world...who play for the NY Philharmonic and the Met and others. Last week was The Lord's Supper and the music was moving. There are no screens or illustrations or videos...just 5-6 talented artists on stage using their gifts from God. We didn't realize what an influence Tim Keller is on Christianity today, but we quickly learned. We have started downloading some of his past sermons and lectures and have his books. He is incredibly bright and articulate, and I highly recommend taking a look. And if you come visit...we'll be happy to take you along!
Visit Redeemer Presbyterian Church HERE.
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
It sounds like a wonderful church. I am glad you have found a place of worship that fits your needs.
Post a Comment