With Velveeta.
You thought I was just teasing with the Velveeta didn't you?
A few weeks ago I made the Southern staple, chicken spaghetti. Whoever thinks that Southern food is not sophisticated is just plain WRONG. While making this delicious dish, I realized that it requires some incredibly fancy cooking techniques. First, you boil a chicken and make your own stock. Then after much chopping, you start sauteing your veggies. Then, you make a mornay sauce...WITH VELVEETA. If you're not a watcher of the Food Network, then a mornay sauce is basically a fancy white sauce that you make with cheese, flour, and usually milk, but homemade chicken stock in this case. Yes...FANCY. The finished product does not look so fancy, but the taste is so yummy you don't care.
The day after I made this I mentioned it to my co-workers. I was trying to explain what it was and I said, "You know...it was at every pot luck dinner and it's what old ladies from church would always make." They just had blank stares. I wondered if they had been raised in a barn not knowing about this, but then I realized that if they had been they would have had old ladies from the church bringing chicken spaghetti to the poor children living in a barn on a regular basis.
Also, please note that Velveeta now has a warning on the front of the box (I'm paraphrasing): *Please see nutritional information for saturated fat and sodium content.*
I used 2 lbs. Seriously.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment