Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thrifty

I recently cleaned out my closet and realized that I was in desperate need of new jeans (and for those of you wondering, Ryan got my closet rod back up, so it's a functioning closet again). I have one pair that I wear on a regular basis, and the rest were there for emergency situations only (meaning if the one pair I wear were horribly stained or too stretched out to pass as decent). So...the search began. I have started following the idea that good designer jeans are not just a waste of money. The one pair of jeans that I wear are Joe's Jeans that I got at a discount website and on sale to boot. They fit perfectly and convinced me that these people charging more than $100 for jeans might actually know what they are doing. The only problem with this philosophy is that I don't really have an extra $150 to spend on jeans. I started looking at Filene's Basement and TJ Maxx, but their designer jeans are still $90+. I didn't know what to do. I kept reading Big Mama's advice to invest in a good pair of jeans, but I couldn't convince Ryan to read up on enough Fashion Fridays to convince him.

Then a miracle happened.

We went out for a walk on Saturday and wandered by the Housing Works Thrift Shop on Columbus Ave. Everything in the store was an extra 25% off on Saturday, so I decided to run in and look around. They had a small rack of jeans so I went over. First I found a pair of 7 For All Mankind for $30 in my size. I almost died. I ran to try them on and they fit perfectly, except that they are too short to wear with heels. They will be perfect for my flats and flip flops in the summer, but my Joe's jeans are short like this so I went back to the rack to see if there was another pair that was longer. Then I found a pair of Habitual jeans with the original Barneys price tag still on them for $20!!! They are dark, long, with awesome flap back pockets to help me out in the derriere (and we know I need all the help I can get back there).

For those of you that haven't jumped on the designer jeans bandwagon, let me explain. The 7 For All Mankind jeans normally sell for $155 and up. The pair I bought can be found at Nordstrom for $191. The Habitual's orginal price tag was for $168 (I'm assuming that because the original tag was still on they've never been worn...even better).

So for the mathematically challenged, I got two pairs of jeans that are worth approx. $359 for $37.50!! Whoo-hoo!! Remember, they were $50-25%!! I'm so darn excited!! And if you've made it through this whole post about my jeans that means you must be too!! You've gotta love a deal!!

2 comments:

mrodriguez05 said...

oh girl, i'm SO jealous!!! what awesome prices! when I can fit in normal jeans again, i'll be on my way to visit and you'll have to take me to this sweet little jean shopping spot you found! :)

Big Mama said...

I am so envious of your jeans find! Makes me want to search the thrift stores tomorrow!